Sunday, July 25, 2010

Amazon.com link for The Janus Stone
Book Description: As an old house in Norwich is being demolished, bones of a child are found – minus the skull. Ruth Galloway is called in to assist and she is once again working with Detective Harry Nelson.
 My Review:I wanted to read The Janus Stone by Elly Griffiths because I read and reviewed her first of the Ruth Galloway books, The Crossing Places, and enjoyed it very much. I wish I could say the same about this book. In the first, the author used location descriptions that were so vivid they brought the location of Saltmarsh to life, and its story  about finding the bones of an unknown child was touching.


In the Janus Stone, those rich descriptions were missing. The mystery was ok, but it was again about finding the bones of an unknown child. There were plenty of suspects and enough twists and turns to get lost in, but it fell short for me. We learn much more about the two main characters, Ruth Galloway and Harry Nelson, but unfortunately the more I learn about Ruth, the less I like her.

One issue I have is that the main character has a hatred for Christians. In the first book there was mention of the character’s born again parents and her disdain for them, but in this book she really went all out to try to paint them as bad people because of their faith.

Does the author thinks that Christians don't purchase mystery books?  Ah well.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...