Thursday, April 15, 2010

Sock Club by Charlene Schurch and Beth Parrott

Amazon.com Link for Sock Club
This unique knitting book is a collection of original designs for sock clubs from both Internet and local sock club groups. All thirteen clubs are described in the book. The section on Making It Your Size has excellent information on changing gauge, pattern and spacing to make the fit just perfect. There are instructions on six different ways to change the size and fit.

The skill level is mostly categorized as Expert, but some are for intermediate. After reading through the instructions I found a few stitch terms that were new to me, but there were clear instructions to walk the knitter through the process. I find charts difficult to follow so I appreciate that the patterns have both charts and written instructions. I took the pattern Havana Lace, that was labeled as “expert” and decided knit up a sample. I cast on and then knitted about 10 rows of the main pattern. I consider myself as an experienced beginner, but I had no problem following this more advanced pattern. I think if you can handle the double-pointed needles you can handle most of these patterns.

The book contains five cast-on and six bind-off techniques. There are also instructions for wrap and turn, circular knitting, no-gap gussets and grafting. The photograhy in Sock Club is also very good.  The pictures are large, and the pattern is easy to see. I highly recommend this fun sock knitting book.



A review copy was provided by Martingale & Company

2 comments:

  1. Happy Saturday Sharefest!

    Now, if only I knew how to knit...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's easy to learn - but it takes time! Learning the double pointed needles is a challenge but once you get used to them, it is a snap.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...