Sunday, April 18, 2010

Mostly Mittens by Charlene Schurch

Amazon.com link for Mostly Mittens - Ethnic Knitting Designs from Russia by Charlene Schurch

Part of the charm of this knitting book is the author’s research of the Nomi people and their history of textile ornamentation. It is just a brief taste of their history, but it is a wonderful addition to the book.


The introduction to the patterns contains a Basic Guidelines section, with an introduction of the yarn and needles used. There are several pages of instructions on how to use the charts and general mitten crafting. The actual patterns are only written in chart form, but that allows room for 35 beautiful and unique designs. There are also four knitted hat patterns, three caps and one Fez-style hat.

The patterns are rated as intermediate to expert, but that may be due to learning the general shape along with yarn and needle management. If you can knit socks using the double pointed needles and can use more than one color yarn, these patterns should be no problem.

I am going to start on Mitten 17, which is a two color pattern with a third color added in a duplicate stitch (embroidered in). I suspect it will be as addictive as sock knitting!

Also see my review for Sock Club by Charlene Schurch and Beth Parrott

1 comment:

  1. I might have to check this book out, Linda. I'm surprised I missed this post before. What is wrong with me?!?

    I love mittens as well as socks. I've been looking for a good mitten book since there are fewer (good) free patterns available than there are for socks.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...